Dansk Esperanto Íslenska
- 1968 Cand. mag. in theoretical nuclear physics from Aarhus
- 1978–1979 One year’s study of computing science (partly at
graduate level) at The University of Alberta, Canada.
- 1968–1978 and 1979–1986 Teaching of physics, astronomy and
computing science at Menntaskólinn við Hamrahlíð
(an Icelandic gymnasium (senior high school)), besides considerable
amount of programming work for the school.
- 1987–2013 Diverse activities in the field of language
technology or connected to it. Main tasks:
- Research and development on private basis, especially in the
field of machine translation, worked on mostly in spare time, all this
by the Icelandic Science Council in 1987. This work started already in
with the development of a software for automatic translation from
- Teaching a course on machine translation at the University of
Iceland, fall semester 1987.
- Tasks elaborated in cooperation with the Dutch software firm
on inclusion of Icelandic in the DLT project for machine translation
Esperanto as an intermediate language, 1987–1993. Sponsored by the
Ministry of Culture and Education 1988 and by the Icelandic Science
1989 and 1990.
- Coauthor of Íslensk
orðtíðnibók (an Icelandic frequency
dictionary) at the Institute of Lexicography at the University of
Iceland, 1989–1991, working out a program for automatic morphological
analysis of Icelandic text on account of this project.
- Supervisor of hardware and software used for translations of
European Communities’ documents at the Translation Center of the
Icelandic Ministry for Foreign Affairs, 1990–1993.
- Specialist on terms in physics and computing in Dönsk-íslensk
orðabók (Danish-Icelandic dictionary), issued by
Ísafoldarprentsmiðja in 1992.
- Design of software for Icelandic users of Bliss symbols,
worked out as a grammatical addition to the IsBliss program for
Jón Hjaltalín Magnússon, 1993–1995.
- Editor of the 3. edition of Tölvuorðasafn;
on behalf of
Skýrslutæknifélag Íslands (the Icelandic
Society of Information Processing), 1995–1998.
- Freelance work in the field of language technology, especially
design for machine translation and translations, 1998–2013.
- Editor of the 4. edition of Tölvuorðasafn,
which is the main Icelandic computing dictionary, containing
and English-Icelandic parts, on
behalf of Skýrslutæknifélag Íslands (the
Icelandic Society of Information Processing), 2003–2005.
- Work on the 5. edition of Tölvuorðasafn
that is a netedition, 2012–2013.
- Operation of the webserver Tungutorg for machine translation free
of charge to and from Icelandic, started 29 March 2008.
Last changed 18 October 2013